The Spotfire Community is moving to TIBCOmmunity and this forum location has closed. During the transition, you can still search the old forums but posting has been disabled. We encourage you to pick up the discussion at the new Spotfire community on TIBCOmmunity.
Spotfire Server Web Service API - TIBCO Spotfire Community

Spotfire Server Web Service API

Last post Fri, Jul 8 2011 4:29 AM by jens. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 27 2011 7:12 PM

• harry
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 27 2011
    • u.s.
    • Posts 7

Spotfire Server Web Service API

Based on the product description, Spotfire Server has a web service API which is used for the client to retrieve information stored on the server, e.g. files stored in the libary. Where can I get the documentation for the API? I've tried to search for it on this site and have had no luck.

We have a web application that needs to retrieve a list of reports stored in the library on the Spotfire Server.

Harry
    Filed under:
  • Wed, Jun 29 2011 4:04 AM In reply to

• jens
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 14 2010
    • Gothenburg, Sweden
    • Posts 65

Re: Spotfire Server Web Service API

Hi,

The web services of TIBCO Spotfire Server are not part of the public API.

Instead I would suggest that you try the Spotfire Library RSS feeds which are available both from the Spotfire Server and the Spotfire Web Player. A description on how to create RSS feeds can be found in the manuals (for TIBCO Spotfire and TIBCO Spotfire Web Player) but in short you simple use one of the following URL patterns (for TIBCO Spotfire Server and TIBCO Spotfire Web Player, respectively):

http[s]://<tss_url>/spotfire/library[/path/to/an/interesting/folder]?rss[&search=<search_expression>]

http[s]://<tswp_url>/Rss.ashx[?[folder=<some_interesting_folder>][&searchtext=<search_expression>]]

Everything within [ is optional. Everything within <> would have to be replaced with something matching what you are looking for. The search expression is an ordinary library search expression, as described in the manual.

I hope this helps. If you feel that you would need a more rich server API, please file this as an enhancement request to TIBCO Spotfire Support.

Best Regards,

Jens

Filed under: , , ,
  • Wed, Jun 29 2011 12:49 PM In reply to

• harry
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • u.s.
    • Posts 7

Thank you for the info, Jens. That's an interesting approach for a back end call, but I would like to give it a try.

In the meantime, I've also discovered that the Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.Library namespace in the Spotfire C# API can allow retrieving information from the Library. As a newbie to this, I don't know that the Spotfire C# API can be pulled out and called by a third-party application directly indepent from Spotfire clients like Web Player server or Spotfire Professional. Could you advise whether that's something worth exploring? Or any other possible approaches?

Best Regards,

Harry

Harry
    Filed under:
  • Thu, Jun 30 2011 3:33 AM In reply to

• jens
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Gothenburg, Sweden
    • Posts 65

Hi,

The C# API is intended to be used by extensions to TIBCO Spotfire or TIBCO Spotfire Web Player, or by custom TIBCO Spotfire Automation Services tasks. There are also ways of launching TIBCO Spotfire from an external application and similar but I guess that is not what you want.

Although the RSS feeds may not solve everything I think they may be quite useful for listing Library content (especially since quite complex search expressions may be used). Some examples are given here.

Customer input on the API:s are always welcome and useful so if there are any kinds of extensions to the existing API:s or any completely new ones that you would like to see in a future release, please contact TIBCO Spotfire Support about this. Make sure to include as much information about the use case that you are trying to solve as possible.

Best Regards,
    Jens

Filed under: , ,
  • Tue, Jul 5 2011 1:06 PM In reply to

• harry
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • u.s.
    • Posts 7

With the RSS feeds, I was able to get the dxp file entries, using url like http://localhost/spotfire/library?rss&search=type:dxp. However, I've had no folders returned with http://localhost/spotfire/library?rss&search=type:folder, even though there are multiple foldered existing in the library. This started to happen after I upgraded my Spotfire Server from 3.2 to 3.3. Is there a way to make this work?

Harry
    Filed under:
  • Tue, Jul 5 2011 4:28 PM In reply to

• jens
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Gothenburg, Sweden
    • Posts 65

Hi,

Yes, the behavior regarding folders has changed in 3.3. To include folders in the search result, simply append &include-folders=true to the URL, like  http://localhost/spotfire/library?rss&search=type:folder&include-folders=true

You may also set the maximum number of returned items with &max-results=<a non negative integer> (0 means all items, default is 20).

Note that both these parameters are new in 3.3.

Regards,
    Jens

Filed under: , ,
  • Tue, Jul 5 2011 4:54 PM In reply to

• harry
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • u.s.
    • Posts 7

That's great info, Jens.

Could you point me to the right documentation that has the RSS feature described in details? I'm seriously considering using it now in our application and it would be important to know what's possible and what's supported.

Thanks,

Harry

Harry
    Filed under:
  • Wed, Jul 6 2011 2:44 AM In reply to

• jens
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Gothenburg, Sweden
    • Posts 65

The Searching the Library section of TIBCO Spotfire 3.3 User's Manual gives a short description of the RSS feeds, and mentions the search and max-results parameters but unfortunately not the include-folders parameter. There is also a section (Library -> RSS Feeds) in the online help for TIBCO Spotfire Web Player. There shouldn't be much more to know about the RSS feeds apart from what is described in the places mentioned above and in my previous posts (apart from the Library search syntax).

I'm sorry that my replies are a bit delayed - I think we are in quite different time zones you and I.

Jens

• Wed, Jul 6 2011 5:08 PM In reply to

• harry
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • u.s.
    • Posts 7

Thank you so much, Jens. It helped a lot.

Harry
  • Thu, Jul 7 2011 6:40 PM In reply to

• harry
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • u.s.
    • Posts 7

Jens,

While the rss approach worked as expected, I do want to explore the option of calling the Spotfire C# API from a backend server-based process, so that I have the full access to Spotfire. You've mentioned in your earlier post "There are also ways of launching TIBCO Spotfire from an external application". Could you elaborate more on it?

Thanks.

Harry
  • Fri, Jul 8 2011 4:29 AM In reply to

• jens
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Gothenburg, Sweden
    • Posts 65

Hi,

What I meant was that the Spotfire client may be launched from another process via COM in order to perform automation tasks. Since this is not my area of expertise, please refer to Extending the Spotfire Platform -> Creating an Automation Interface on the Spotfire Technology Network site.

Jens

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
┬ęCopyright 2000-2011 TIBCO Software Inc | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use I Blog I Contact Us I Content Center