The Spotfire Community is moving to TIBCOmmunity and this forum location has closed. During the transition, you can still search the old forums but posting has been disabled. We encourage you to pick up the discussion at the new Spotfire community on TIBCOmmunity.
Where to find and download the US zip code map ESRI shape file? - TIBCO Spotfire Community

Where to find and download the US zip code map ESRI shape file?

Last post Fri, Oct 7 2011 10:32 AM by rwelty. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 6 2011 12:42 PM

• Yong
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 6 2011
    • Posts 9

Where to find and download the US zip code map ESRI shape file?

I am trying to create an application by using US zip code map in Spotfire, but I couldn't find the shape file. Do you know where I can find it and get free download?

Thanks

• Fri, Oct 7 2011 10:27 AM In reply to

• rwelty
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 7 2011
    • Posts 11

Re: Where to find and download the US zip code map ESRI shape file?

there is no official shape file for zip codes. the postal service doesn't consider zip codes to be area data, but rather route data. also, they change from time to time.

your best bet is the census bureau site, which has shape files for their approximation of the zip code boundaries. the latest ones are from 2000, hopefully your application doesn't need anything more recent than that:

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/cob/z52000.html

richard

• Fri, Oct 7 2011 10:32 AM In reply to

• rwelty
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 7 2011
    • Posts 11

Re: Where to find and download the US zip code map ESRI shape file?

i spoke too soon. 2010 shape files for zip code boundaries may be found here on the census bureau web site:

http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/geo/shapefiles2010/layers.cgi

i haven't looked them over, but be forwarned that these particular shapefiles potentially have a *lot* of points and may benefit from a simplification algorithm if they're for display purposes only. some of the county and state boundaries that align on bodies of water definitely have this issue.

richard

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
┬ęCopyright 2000-2011 TIBCO Software Inc | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use I Blog I Contact Us I Content Center