The Spotfire Community is moving to TIBCOmmunity and this forum location has closed. During the transition, you can still search the old forums but posting has been disabled. We encourage you to pick up the discussion at the new Spotfire community on TIBCOmmunity.
Show Rows which contain an Empty Column/Cell - TIBCO Spotfire Community

Show Rows which contain an Empty Column/Cell

Last post Thu, Nov 1 2012 2:59 AM by Emma. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 31 2012 3:56 AM

• Emma
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 12 2012
    • Posts 4

Show Rows which contain an Empty Column/Cell

Hi All,

I want Spotfire to show me all rows in my table that have a null cell. This null cell can be any cell in the row and if it exists, I want to see it displayed. I do not want to see "good" rows where all cells are populated.

ABC123; First Three; USD; ; 2004; (this will be shown)

DEF123; Second Three; USD;123; 2006; (this will be filtered)

GHI123; ;USD;123; 2004; (this will be shown)

I can, through Information Designer, pull back all of the data and using the filters I can happily look for all rows which contain (empty) and select those to get what I want. However, this isn't how I want my dashboard to appear as I am not interested in good rows, I only want to know about bad rows.

I have consulted with a few people on how I should do this, but I've been told there any many ways to acheive it (including the one I have described) but I haven't been given any instruction on how to acheive it using filters... any ideas or pointers to tutorials? Help?

• Thu, Nov 1 2012 2:59 AM In reply to

• Emma
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 12 2012
    • Posts 4

Re: Show Rows which contain an Empty Column/Cell

I have figured out how to do this. Alternative methods are welcome!

1) Create a new filter

2) Add all of the columns that you want to apply the filter to

3) In the "Expression" box, you can use Is NULL so you are only showing those records which have a null value in one of the columns, while those perfect rows are not shown.

%1 Is NULL

If you, like me, need this check performed on multiple columns, I used OR in this case

%1 Is NULL or %2 Is NULL or %3 Is NULL...

4) Add this filter to the information link and open the data or check that the SQL is what you expected.

Filed under: , , ,
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
┬ęCopyright 2000-2011 TIBCO Software Inc | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use I Blog I Contact Us I Content Center